Saturday, November 24, 2012

Internet-ional Fame

Here's a riddle for you:

What's bigger than the whole big wide world?

. . .

All right, well, I guess I won't wait for a response.  The answer is "the internet."  You can email me and tell me if that's what you were thinking.  Now, guess who's taking over the internet.

. . .

Oh.  Right.  This time the answer is "me!"  (You can email me again if you want to.)

Last week, I received the following automated email from weebly.com, the free web design and hosting site behind the new and improved www.jmmanship.com:

"We just wanted to congratulate you on all the people that have been visiting your site lately!  In the last week alone, your sites have received over 229 page views!  Since it looks like you're well on your way to internet stardom . . ."

Did you read that?  Internet stardom!  An automated email thinks I'm going to be a star!*  Regular people have recognized my potential for years.  Now, artificial intelligence is hopping on the bandwagon, too. 

Weebly.com went on to suggest several ways to better index my outlandishly popular website, ways to better link to it, even ways to make some serious cash off of it.  I would add one more thing to this list:

Set the thing up so it doesn't count hits from my own browser.

- - - - -

* Said automated email also thinks I have more than one site.  




No comments:

Post a Comment