Friday, January 6, 2012

(f)ate

Let's reflect for a moment on fate.  Not Fate, but fate--the kind that could be universal, but that we suspect may actually just be our way of convincing ourselves that we matter to someone other than ourselves.  I hope that makes sense.

In any case, fate (or Fate) is usually a subtle monster.  It nudges.  It speaks in intuition.  It whispers in our ear when it's feeling cliche.  Fate* is not direct.  Until it is. 

I've just received the following email from the Second City Training Center.

"The TC has determined the date for your Level 3 admission audition at the end of this term.  You will be auditioning on Friday, February 24th from 4:00- 6:00pm in the Skybox TheatreThere is no alternative audition date."

Well, then.  I guess I better be available on February 24 from 4 to 6 pm.  Or else give up on my comedy career.  Is this bureaucratic simplicity (an oxymoron, thank you), scheduling me with no regard to my own needs or commitments, or is it just fate being direct with me?  Either way, it's rare that any human being is so eager to make plans with me, much less a major theatre.  I guess I know what destiny holds for me on February 24 from 4 to 6 pm. 

Now, it also just so happens that said audition is 2 days before my birthday.  Coincidence?  Or . . .

I don't know.  I just don't know.  
--------------------

* Did I capitalize that because it's Fate and not fate, or because it's at the beginning of a sentence?  You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment