Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Overnight

Have you ever been walking down train tracks through a concrete tunnel when you see a light ahead and hear the sound of compressed air and locomotive wheels rattling on old wooden planks?  And then, the metal tracks begin to shake?  And then, like out of the blue, a train hits you, and you ask yourself, "Where in the hell did that come from?"

Sometimes there's just no way to see it coming.  

I haven't written in this blog for two weeks.  Why?  Well, I've been doing notably un-famous things like watching college basketball, working to pay for food and shelter, and walking down train tracks.  Also, I've been seeing another blog.  These are just excuses.  The truth is, like I've iterated before around this time of year, sometimes life is just boring. 

Not anymore.  After stumbling through darkness for weeks, I can see the light again!

Today, I spent from 10 am to 1 pm rehearsing with Barrel of Monkeys, with whom I volunteer taught this winter.  To say that the room was full of theatrical geniuses might be an overstatement, but it might not.  We're doing amazing work, and I'm beginning to wonder if children shouldn't write all stage plays, soap operas, and daytime television shows. (They've already cornered the market on prime time.)  Chuga chuga.

Then, this evening, I spent three hours under the tutelage of Michael Gellman, former director of Second City Toronto.*  Especially given my enthusiasm for what I'd been experiencing at Second City to this point, the class was a breath of fresh, compressed air (Choo!  Choo!). 

Put all of this together with the fact that I was just asked to donate a copy of Cambridge Street to a local raffle and that I'm seven "chapters" in to Off Track--and it's like life is suddenly interesting again.  I feel healthy.  I feel great.  I feel like--

BAM.

Where the hell did that come from? 

----------------

* Okay, so technically, this class started 2 weeks ago, but you'll have to grant me literary license.

No comments:

Post a Comment