Friday, April 1, 2011

National Poetry Month

It's been April for twenty-four hours, and I haven't written a poem!  Any other month, this oversight might not be a problem.  But April is National Poetry Month.  Accordingly, I will be writing a poem every day this month.*  My first^ one will be public.

Here is my first poem.  I hope you enjoy it.  It's called "Ampersand."

(TRUE POETS WRITE IN ALL CAPS)

CURIOSITY WOKE ME
TUGGING AT MY INTELLECT
ROUSING MY AMBIVALENCE

WHY WON'T YOU LET ME SLUMBER, I ASKED HER
BECAUSE I AM A PERSONIFICATION, SHE SAID
AND PERSONIFICATIONS HAVE TO TAKE HUMAN ACTION
THAT IS THE VERY DEFINITION OF PERSONIFICATION

OH I SAID
HOW CURIOUS

YES
CURIOSITY REPLIED

I hope that you find this poem as absolutely moving as I do.  I think it is some of my best work.**
----------------------------------------------------------

* Just like I met a new famous black person every day in February.

^ Does 1 AM on April 2 still count as April Fools Day?  See, I don't think I'll actually be writing any more poems.  But I'm not sure if I'm allowed to be "just joking" anymore.  When does it become time for sincerity again?  Is that a May thing?

** in April

No comments:

Post a Comment