Thursday, August 11, 2011

Fulcrum

August 11, 2011.  ~ 6:00 pm CST.  Chicago, IL.  An ending. 


Several hours ago, my old job in Boston held auditions to fill my former position there.  There is no turning back on the employment front.  I have no more work in Boston than I do here.  My time as an employee in Boston is over. 

One hour ago, I finished my last iO Summer Intensive class session.  I no longer have a steady daytime commitment here, and the 17 people with whom I've spent the largest chunk of my days will now scatter to the winds and, at least for the time being, disappear.  My time at iO "summer camp" is over.  

August 11, 2011.  ~ 6:00 pm CST.  Chicago, IL.  A beginning. 

One hour from now, a performance will begin in the Del Close Theater at iO.  It will feature all 110 students from the Summer Intensive.  I will perform in this show, thereby appearing with my first "official" troupe in about 8 years.  Although most of the people with whom I'm performing will then disappear (see above!), I will have officially entered the Chicago improv scene as a performer.

. . .

You know the part of a roller coaster where you reach the top of the first hill, and all of your nerves stand on end because, "Here it comes?"  That's today, and not just for my journey to being a complete and total household name, but also for my existence as a simple, lowly human being. 

You know how, right as you reach that same point at the peak of that hill, the car goes slower and slower and slower until it's excruciating on your nerves, and you just want to go downhill?  Or at least know when the movement's going to begin? 

You know how, once you do go over that first hill, the roller coaster just has its way with you, and you completely relinquish control?

You know how, actually, you relinquished control as soon as you got on the roller coaster in the first place?

. . .

Here goes. 

. . .

Put your hands up.

. . .

Twelve hours from now, I will have 75 fewer "like"-rs because, "Damn, won't that guy just stick to writing things that are funny, or at least mildly absurd?" 









No comments:

Post a Comment