Wednesday, October 20, 2010

First Omen? Check!

Some people are beginning to think that this blog is facetious.  My mother, for one.  She taught me the word "facetious."  I have one word to teach her: "hater!"

My mother, you see, has played a lot of games.  Trivial Pursuit, Life . . . a lot of Pac-Man.  A LOT of Pac-Man.  One game she has never played (guaranteed)?  Betrayal at House on the Hill.  If she had, she would understand the profusion of vestiges portending my fast-approaching illustriousness (See, ma, I can learn words on my own now, thank you very much.)

Back to Betrayal at House on the Hill.  This is a game in which, in short, 6 explorers explore (go figure) a haunted house and as they do so, different omens appear.  Once a certain amount of omens have appeared -- thirteen at the most -- one of the explorers is chosen to leave the others behind and, well, who cares what happens next.  It's irrelevant to my blog.  ((If you have never played and are intrigued, though, you have an opportunity this Thursday.  Let me know.  But be warned that I always win.)

I have, in fact, won this game so many times that now, it and I have become one.  Every time I play now, I am the explorer chosen by the omens to ascend beyond all other explorers.  Coincidence?  No.  Because, if you haven't figured it out by now, I have also been chosen in life (except by those who don't choose me.)

Is it further coincidence, then, that these omens have begun to appear in my "real" life?  (I put real in quotation marks because, honestly, what's more real than exploring a haunted house with little plastic figures?)  Here is the first one:

This check is from Zeitgeist Stage for my role in Enron.  It's the first check I've ever received for acting in a formal theatrical production at the BCA.  Not only that, but look at the script!  No man writes like that!   This check was written by a lost soul, or maybe a werewolf (possibly a witch).

Conclusion: omen #1 has arrived.  The list begins. 

OMENS

1. The Zeitgeist Stage check
2. ??
3. ??
4. ??
5. ??
6. TBD
7. ??
8. ??
9. ??
10. ??
11. ??
12. ??
13. (see below)

By the time I get to omen #13, I will have arrived at my haven of exaltation.

I hope it looks like this:

 Now that's an omen (girl!)!

No comments:

Post a Comment