Thursday, October 13, 2011

Eighth Omen: OGACIHC

"ESRUC EHT ESREVER" is scribbled in graffiti on a Storrow Drive overpass.  At least, it was in 2001, when I moved to Boston.

At that time, the Red Sox hadn't won a World Series since 1918, the Celtics were hoping just to keep up with the mighty New Jersey Nets, and the Patriots were still starting some guy named "Bledsoe." 

Six years later in that sleepy little college town, the 3-time Superbowl champion New England Patriots went undefeated in the regular season, the Boston Celtics won the NBA Championship (over LA, no less), and the Red Sox wrapped up their second World Series title.  I don't remember seeing the graffiti on the overpass after that year.

When I came to Chicago this summer, I told everyone I met what I've learned about myself:

Wherever I go, I turn the sports teams of that place into champions.  (By the way, I'm beginning to think some of my "like"-rs take this blog as insincere.  Those people should know that I am as sincere about omens, luck, and ERA's as sports fans are.  I even have statistics about how much better my blog entries are in "day entries" versus "night entries."  And when I type left-handed, forget it.)

In case you still don't take this as seriously as I do though, consider the recent news about Theo Epstein.  I can tell you that everyone here is talking about him.  And no sooner does the famous Red Sox GM announce that he's (like me) coming to Chi-town, than the Bears start throwing* games left and right, too, in preparation for a renaissance.  And as the NBA season approaches, the Bulls are too ashamed to even take the court for the first two week of their season after playing second fiddle to the Miami Heat last year.  Everything is primed and ready for me (and Theo) to turn things around, just like we did in Boston.

Still don't believe me?  Fine.  Let me add that I watched my first Atlanta Braves^ baseball game in 1990.  I'll let you do the research on that one.

The omens so far:

1. My Zeitgeist Stage check
2. I Burned My Face
3. A Book
4. I'm on National Television!
5. I'm an inspiration to the young!
6. Prophecy!
7.The T Pays Off
8. OGACIHC
9. ??
10. ??
11. ??
12. ??
13. probably a giant check

-------------------------------------
* Get it?  See, the Bears are known for relying too much on a passing offense!  See?  See?

^ Okay, so I never lived in Atlanta, but the Braves are really the team for all of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina, and I was living in one of those states at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment